Monday, August 17, 2009

Water, water, everywhere.....

If you haven't figured it out yet, I'm a little on the green side. If you know what I mean! I'm all in for recycling, conservation of our materials, and alternate means to help us survive without using up all our precious resources.

Water is a precious commodity that we take for advantage, and over use without even giving it a second thought.

Have you ever turned on the water while you were brushing your teeth and left it running?

How about while you were washing the car? Maybe you didn't have a spray nozzle and decided to just wing it, but didn't want to take the time to turn off the water?

As someone that has served on board an Aircraft Carrier, I know about water conservation, and how important it is. After all, who wants to get down from the flight deck at the end of the day after being up there in the 100 plus degree heat, and not be able to take a shower.

The other day I was out on the wash rack waiting for the line rats to get done with the wash job so that I could go and do my post wash lube job. As I stood there I noticed that no one was using the water, but the water was running....into the drain....it wasn't being used, it was being wasted.

I mean, come on, the least they could have done was to turn the water off, there wasn't a purpose to having it continue running.

You would think that the Navy, being all sea power and everything, would teach us more about conservation acts, and provide us with the material to do so, but NOPE, they don't.

On a ship water is precious, but it seems like the moment you're on land, all that goes out the window. The next time you brush your teeth turn the water off until your done, save a little water for the rest of us, you never know when it will be all gone.

1 comment:

  1. You have taught me well. I now turn off the water while I'm brushing my teeth. :)

    ReplyDelete