Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Thank you's and good job!

I wonder how many people these days say thank you? Saying thank you is something I always say, I guess it was part of my upbringing. My Me maw would get so haughty with me as a kid if I didn't say "Yes Mam, no mam, thank you, your welcome" She was a very, very old fashioned Southern woman.

There isn't a day that goes by that I haven't said thank you to someone. To me, it's an important part of who I am as a person. It's polite and it even catches people of guard sometimes because they don't hear it that ofter.

Whenever I work with people I always make sure to say thank you, and if it's someone who is learning something new, I make a point to tell them good job.

Giving someone a boost like "Good job" may be the only positive thing that they hear all day. After all the world is a rather negative place these days.

Good job means a lot to me. It's a pat on the back sort of thing, I some what believe my piers when the tell me that, half the time I think their being sarcastic, because that's what they do best. Criticize my short comings and be as negative as they possibly can be.

I don't know if people in the Navy hear that enough..."Good job" I was working with this new Airmen today, who really didn't know how to fuel an aircraft. So, I had to be stern (if that's a good description) and be serious with the guy. I began by asking him questions about the evolution we were doing, to get the wheels in his head turning. It did, I got him to realize what we needed to get out hob done, WITHOUT doing something stupid, like fueling with out power applied.

When we got done with fueling, I told him "Good job" he said thank you and we started walking back to the shack. As we walked I reminded him of what he needed the next time he did a fueling, and told him that I knew that the next time he had to fuel he could do it with no problem.

I like being able to do something like that. Give someone a boost. They may walk away thinking that they did a bad job and may loose some confidence but if you tell them they did good and help them along, it can only bring some good ju ju your way.

No comments:

Post a Comment